Stockton Divorce Lawyer | CA | Bansmer Law
Stockton Family and Divorce Lawyers
AGGRESSIVE & Dependable Call now for a consultation (209) 474-2400

Child Support Lawyer

Being a parent means making sure you do what is best for your children. However, many times, the stress and nauseating feelings of dealing with financial matters can make it difficult to keep things in perspective. At Bansmer Law, we are here to represent you in your child support case. Our firm will assist you in understanding how child support is calculated and keep you up-to-date with your case. We will aggressively fight for you and attempt to ensure your financial needs are met.

The most common questions are “How much should the other party pay?” “How can I prove how much they truly earn?” “They quit their job, what can I do?” During these stressful and frustrating times, it is important to have an experienced child and spousal support attorney working with you to protect you and your child’s best interests.

Calculating the Amount of Child Support Ordered

A common question we receive regarding child support is “how are the ordered amounts calculated?” The calculation used to determine the child support order varies from state to state. Each state has its own set of guidelines used for determining the amount of child support ordered. However, these guidelines are very similar across state lines. In the state of California, child support guidelines are set by law. A calculation of each parents income combined with the amount of time spent with each parent is used to determine the final amount ordered. The types of income included in these calculations vary from wages, bonuses, rental income to received benefits.

Child Support FAQ’s

There are many situations in which a family may require child support services and court-ordered judgements for the financial contributions of a non-custodial parent. Over the years, our family law attorney have assisted many families while walking through this process. The procedures of child custody and child support can be complex. Families approaching the process for the first time have common questions about requesting and responding to child support orders.

Q. Can I receive child support if I am not married to the father of my child and his name is not on the birth certificate?
A. Paternity must be established first before an order can be obtained for child support. The agency will establish paternity for the child and once the paternity is determined an order for support will be issued by the court.

Q. I don’t think my child support order is contributing enough to support my children. What should I do?
A. Child Support orders can be revisited. Our family law attorney are highly experienced in filing for changes in the order based on our clients’ specific needs or circumstantial changes. We’ll guide you through the process to help you get the results you need.

Q. Can a child support order prevent a non-custodial parent from visiting the child? Does the child support order allow the non-custodial parent to visit the child?
A. Child support orders only serve as financial orders from the court to set requirements of financial support by parents. They do not permit or deny any visitation rights for non-custodial parents. Court ordered visitation stipulations must be sought out through child custody & visitation orders.

Q. What should I do if the non-custodial parent refuses to pay the court-ordered child support?
A. If the non-custodial parent refuses to pay court-ordered child support our attorney will follow the proper channels to ensure that the matter is brought to court on contempt. Consequences for payment refusal includes having your license revoked, intercepting of tax refunds, liens and ultimately the filing for criminal prosecution.

When you need assistance with any child spousal support matter, call Bansmer Law at 209-474-2400.

Stockton Family Court

  • The Stockton Family Court is a division of the Superior Court Of California.
  • The purpose of Stockton Family Court is to settle all matters pertaining to family law, such as dissolutions, custody battles, financial issues, division of property.
  • Family Court services also includes an orientation program for parents to help prepare them for mediation.