What to Expect when You Get a DUI: Attorneys Stockton CA
If you have never been in trouble with the law before, you may not know what to expect when you get a DUI. And even if you have been charged with one in the past, you may not be aware of how multiple charges can affect you. In order to prepare you for all that is coming, learn what to expect when you get a DUI from Erica M Bansmer: Attorneys Stockton CA:
- Arrest – If you are suspected of driving under the influence, don’t expect to drive away. You will likely be arrested, taken into custody, and formally charged at the police station.
- Court – No matter how you intend to plead, you will have to appear in court and go through other official legal mechanisms as part of your DUI charge.
- Suspension – Loss of your driver’s license for months or even years is what to expect when you get a DUI and are found to be guilty.
- Fines – The financial penalty for a DUI charge is significant. If you have prior convictions or the circumstances of the crime are extraordinary, you could damage your long-term financial health as a result.
- Jail – Serving time is not always what to expect when you get a DUI. But it is part of the sentencing standards, and if you have multiple offenses, the courts will be eager to lock you up.
- School – As part of resolving your DUI charge you will likely be required to attend alcohol counseling and safe driving school.
- Insurance – Being arrested for a DUI will force you to pay higher rates for auto insurance for the rest of your life.
- Stigma – Having a DUI conviction on your record can make it harder to find a job or a place to live. It can also strain your relationships with friends and family.
Attorneys Stockton CA: Erica M. Bansmer
Now that you know what to expect when you get a DUI take steps to avoid the worst of the consequences. With the right legal representation you can argue for your innocence and hopefully avoid or reduce the prescribed penalties. To get a free consultation, call one of the best, Attorneys Stockton CA, Erica M. Bansmer Attorney at Law at 209-474-2400.Back to blog home